31 Days of Learning to Breathe: Breathing in Joy



Joy is defined as; "a feeling of pleasure and happiness", "a state of happiness or felicity", "a source or cause of delight". The list can go on. These definitions are from general dictionaries. 

 Is it possible that joy goes deeper than happiness? Do you see them as equals? Or do you see joy as something a little more stable and happiness something that can easily change with circumstances? It's a great question to ask and to ponder. Maybe at one time I would have considered them equal, but over the years I've learned that the feeling of "happiness" can come and go, but that even in the midst of struggle, tragedy, hurt, etc,  I can experience a steadfast, always constant, deep within joy.

I can choose to breathe in joy. To draw from deep within. And maybe from this joy that comes from deep within I can even experience happiness in times of pain. I remember when my mom passed away. Clearly one of the most painful losses I've experienced, but I found that we were able to find reasons to laugh, to remember. It wasn't birthed out of our current circumstance, but out of the deep abiding joy within that even in the midst of tragedy and pain, we knew the hope that all would be okay again.....someday. For weeks and months afterward, when everyone went on with life, and as it does, life goes on, I struggled with thoughts such as "how can they be happy, don't they know how sad I am", "how can life just go on like nothing happened". But it does because that's the nature of life. While our own little world seems like it's barely being held together, everyone else's continues on. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, and we all do it when an experience doesn't directly affect us. But when it does, can we find a way to breathe in joy and even exhale that joy to those around us. 


Is joy evident in your life no matter what is going on around you? What do you find joy in? I can be having a rough day, but the sight of a sunset, a flower or a certain fragrance, can bring joy to the surface. And I take a deep breath, release it and feel a sense of joy and even peace settle over me. All will be well, no matter how I'm feeling a the moment.

Joy is a choice. Like much of anything in life is. I know some would disagree, but I find that we always have choices for how we will respond to life and circumstances around us. I won't find it by constantly complaining about everything and everyone around me. I find it by what I surround myself with and who has access to my life, and what I choose to fill my heart and mind with. What my focus is on. 


I hope that you choose joy! I hope that you take some time to breathe in joy every day. I love this list of where to find Joy. What could you add to this list. Choose joy instead of waiting for the "feeling" of happiness to come. 





With Joy Unquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts