Venison Tacos

 Usually when I make tacos, I go all out with the toppings. I mean, who doesn't love a loaded taco. However, sometimes simple is good, and in this case, really good! Really good and actually very quick because the meat doesn't take long to cook. The only downside was there wasn't as much meat in the package as I thought so we were limited to how many we could have. I seriously think I could've eaten 4, okay, maybe 3. For the record we used small tortillas, and I only ate 2.

I love wild game meat, but alas, I didn't marry a hunter or a fisherman so I am always so excited when a friend blesses us with some meat they caught or shot (sorry all you animal lovers). In this case, a friend gave me some venison a month or so ago. A co-worker of my hubby's has also shared some salmon and steelhead with us (so very good). So, back to the venison. She gave me some ground meat (which I've used for chili and today, stuffed peppers), and also some cube steak. I've used that once for "chicken fried steak" and then these venison tacos. What is great about cube steak is it is fairly thin, and therefore does not require much cooking. When I made the Chicken Fried Steak, I cooked them too long. I was paranoid, but also didn't think that as they rested, they would cook a bit more. Lesson learned.
For these wonderful tacos you only need a few things. I used venison but you could easily use beef. 

Ingredients:

cube steak (amount varying on how many you are serving)
garlic powder
onion powder
salt
pepper
cumin
cayenne pepper

Avocado 
coleslaw (store bought, or click the link for homemade)
flour tortillas (I used LaTortilla Factory tortillas)

Instructions:

1. Season both sides of steak. In a hot skillet, drizzle about a tablespoon of Olive Oil or butter. Cook steak on one side (about 3-5 minutes), then flip and cook on remaining side for another 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside to rest about 5 minutes.

2. If making your own coleslaw, make it several hours ahead so it has time to "marry" with all the ingredients.

3. Thinly slice meat against the grain and set aside. Slice avocado. 

4. Warm tortillas slightly in microwave, oven or in skillet. Top with steak, coleslaw and avocado. Enjoy!! 

Perfectly simple, light meal!



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts