Mixed Greens Summer Salad


It's finally feeling like summer here in the beautiful SW region of Washington (state that is). The temps are staying up there (75-90's), I'm having to water every day and it's the perfect time to serve salads. I have several on my list to make this next week. Not only are they just easy and perfect when you don't want to cook, but we are also trying to incorporate more of them in as a "meal" and not a "side". 

This salad was inspired by This Recipe, by Recipe Girl's blog. I did some things different. For example, no one really likes dijon mustard in my family so I used my sweet and sour dressing recipe. I also used a combo of chopped spinach and mixed greens. Instead of goat cheese, I used Feta.  

It was such a yummy, fresh salad and I have found a new love in toasted pine nuts...too bad they're so expensive. I did find mine in the bulk section and at over $15 a pound, I only bought about $3.50 worth. Other salads I have on the list to make: Chef Salad and another simple chicken salad. 
Ingredients:

Equal parts chopped spinach and mixed greens
1-2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped, or shredded rotissierie
1/4 c. pine nuts
1 Roma tomato, chopped
1 avocado, cut in larger pieces
Feta Cheese

Instructions:

1. Assemble salad! Place spinach and greens in large serving dish.

2. In a shallow dry skillet, that has been warmed, place pine nuts and toast until light brown and beginning to release it's aroma.

3. Layer all ingredients. Sprinkle with Feta Cheese. 

4. We added our own dressing, this way if we had leftovers, it wasn't wasted. 

The flavors were perfect combinations and I probably could've eaten two bowls.


What are your favorite salad toppings?

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts