SRC Reveal: Old Fashioned Lemon Bars


OH MY GOODNESS! I went on my blog this morning and noticed my SRC post was showing....SAY WHAT! I was positive I scheduled it...yep, scheduled it.....for yesterday....yikes...thankfully I only wrote it yesterday so I think I'm safe from anyone seeing it...lol....

Hello! Since I became a member of the SRC I have been a part of group D. Late last year there was a call out to anybody who would be interested in switching groups. I thought "why not. It might be nice to experience some new blogs". So here I am. This is my first post in Group C. I have really enjoyed being a part of The Secret Recipe Club. I have found some great blogs, made some amazing recipes, and survived without too many flops. Each month we are assigned a blog, choose a recipe and make it on our reveal day. 

This month I was assigned Feast on The Cheap (I love a Feast and I love Cheap), hosted by the mom and daughter (and new mom) team, Mary Anne and Mariel. Can I say that, WOW, these ladies do it all. From catering, to authoring a cookbook, to writing for magazines, to hosting a blog. Please go check out their About Me Page since I will NOT be able to do them justice. 

I loved all their recipes...my dilemma came when I saved two recipes to my "Secret" Pinterest Board, decided which one to make, bought the ingredients and then yesterday (Thursday) realized it was a previous SRC post...ACK!!! So I went to the next one I pinned, and the next one...they were all former SRC posts. Oh, no!!! I still made the Tuscan Sausage Soup and it was a HUGE hit! It was originally made by A Couple in The Kitchen. I will be making it again, in fact, I'm sitting here eating it now with a slice of my yummy artisan bread. This put me in a dilemma because I needed to find a recipe that involved ingredients I had at home since it's not quite payday. Finally I came upon their Old Fashioned Lemon Bars and I knew it would be a winner, and I knew I had all the ingredients. Phew! I DID NOT want to bomb my first Group C post. 

One thing I love about their blog is they show a "cost" of each meal, according to what you would buy and what should have "stock" or on hand. Obviously prices will vary but I like that they give a general idea. I also liked this page Well-Stocked, where they talk about a well-stocked kitchen. Great tips.

These bars were just the right combo of sweet, tangy, buttery goodness! They were easy to put together and do not take long at all. Let's get on with the recipe.

Old Fashioned Lemon Bars
by Feast on The Cheap

Ingredients:

For Crust~

1 c. Flour
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. chopped nuts (I used walnuts, they used almonds)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 stick chilled butter, cut in to slices

For Filling~

3/4 c sugar
The zest of 3 lemons (about 3 Tbs.)..I use organic when I'm going to use the peel.
6 Tbs. fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 Tbs. flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder

To Garnish~~powdered sugar, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries...whatever tickles your fancy or is in season.

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x9 pan with foil and either butter or spray with cooking spray.

2. In the bowl of a food processor armed with the metal blade, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add the chilled butter and nuts. Pulse until mixture resembles fine meal.

3. Press in to the bottom of pan using hands or the bottom of a glass dipped in flour. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. 

4. While that is baking, combine all filling ingredients in food processor and blend just till combined. You don't want to go crazy because it will mess with the final outcome if the batter gets foamy.

5. Pour over warm crust and bake for another 20 minutes or until edges are brown and lemon is set. Allow to cool then lift foil out of pan, gently separate from bars and slice. 

6. Top with whatever your heart desires. 
Thank you ladies for a great recipe!




With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Welcome to group C! Love, love, love lemon bars! These sound fantastic! Great pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words! I hate when I get my heart set on a previous SRC post, happens to me all the time. So nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Group C and fun being assigned to you this month, too. And I can never resist a good sweet/puckery lemon bar

    ReplyDelete
  4. One look and you have my mouth watering. I LOVE lemon! Now I absolutely have to make these, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing better, IMO, than a nice tangy sweet lemon bar. This looks wonderful
    And Welcome to Group C. I am always seeing new blogs here and hoping they will be my assignment real soon. Like yours!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts