SRC: Vegetarian Skillet Gnocchi w/White beans and Swiss Chard



It seems like forever since we've posted for the Secret Recipe Club. I'll admit that taking December off was nice as it was very busy with holidays, ACL recovery for my daughter and I ended up sick with a cold on Christmas Day and am still fighting it. 

It is nice to back up and running though with our January assignments. If you're not familiar with SRC check out the link above for more information. I have found so many wonderful blogs through this little bloggy club and I thoroughly enjoy getting the e-mail each month with my next assignment. What I like about this club is that you get to choose what you make. You get to browse your secret blog's recipe archives and find one, or two, or too many recipes that you'd like to try out. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes, not so much...too many to choose from. 

This month I was assigned the blog Shockingly Delicious. Is that an awesome name or what! Check out her About Me page to learn more about her and her wonderful blog and life. There were three recipes I marked. Her Soaked and glazed lemon bundt cake, her Spinach Gruyere Potato Gratin, and her Vegetarian Skillet Gnocchi with White Beans and Swiss Chard, which obviously from the title is the one I went with. It was a tough decision because that lemon bundt cake looked so good, but my oldest loves gnocchi and wanted me to try that. 

Sometimes it is hard for me to find Gnocchi in the grocery stores. If I had more time, I would have made my own (because I'd just like to try that sometime). I do know that Trader Joe's always carries them. I went grocery shopping last week, went in to TJ's and walked out...without Gnocchi...thankfully I remembered while I was still in town and stopped back in there to grab a pack.

Click on this link for Dorothy's post complete with photos of the steps. This did not take long to make, and even my youngest, who was a bit skeptical  admitted that it was better than she thought. Of course there was cheese on top so that probably helped her enjoy it a bit more.

Let's get going on that recipe.

Ingredients:

1 Tbs + 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 16 oz. pkg. shelf stable gnocchi (usually found near pasta aisle or by other Italian food..not in all stores)
1 yellow onion thinly sliced (we are not huge onion fans so I just used a little bit of onion)
4 cloves garlic finely minced (oh yah! I used all 4)
1/2 c. water
6 c. chopped Swiss Chard leaves or Spinach
1 15oz. can diced tomato in Italian seasoning (I used 4 Roma Tomatoes, chopped with their juices, then used basil, oregano, pepper and some italian seasoning)
15 oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
1/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese

Directions:

1. Heat 1 tbs. of oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook till they start to plump up and lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Remove to a bowl.

2. Add remaining 1 tsp. oil to pan and add onion and cook, stirring over med. heat for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until onions are soft, about 4-6 minutes. 
3. Add chard and cook 1-2 minutes or until it begins to wilt. Add white beans, tomatoes, spices (if using fresh tomatoes) and bring to a simmer. Add gnocchi and cook to heat through.

4. Sprinkle with cheeses and allow to melt. Serves 5-6 or in our case 4.
*Note: I used two pans. I used a non-stick skillet for the gnocchi, but it's not very deep so I used my large stainless steel for all the remaining steps.







With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Hiya,
    Thanks for doing such a great job on my recipe. Your dish looks delectable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I'll try making my own gnocchi. Glad I did your recipe justice

      Delete
  2. I love her blog too! What a great pick, hearty and healthy at the same time...

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to eat gnocchi, but I need to expand my horizons! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to try them. When cooked right, they are really yummy!

      Delete
  4. Wow, this sounds awesome. I am such a huge gnocchi fan and a newbie to the whole vegetarian scene so this recipe is perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really easy too, so you should definitely give it a try

      Delete
  5. That looks so good - I have only had gnocchi once. My MIL made some gnocchi soup for us at Christmastime and I'm kicking myself for not trying it sooner! The skillet looks super yummy - definitely going to check out the spinach gruyere gratin too.

    Happy Reveal day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a recipe for a soup with gnocchi but haven't tried it yet. I'd like to make them from scratch

      Delete
  6. Great pick! Always like hearty veggie dishes to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and this could also be a side dish if you wanted it to be.

      Delete
  7. Mmm, I love veggie-heavy pasta dishes so I know I'd love this. Great choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pasta dishes with tons of veggies in them, and this one looks great! I am definitely pinning this one to try soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do! It's great, and I think can be adaptable with many veggies

      Delete
  9. Yumm, I lovegnocchi but alays forget to make some. This si a really tempting recip and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love gnocchi. This is a perfect meatless Monday meal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts