My Try at Gluten-Free, Vegan Cookies

I love to cook, I love to bake, I love trying new recipes. My hesitancy comes in thinking about trying to create my own recipes. Over the last few weeks a few of my friends have made some yummy "raw" cookies. They graciously gave me the ingredients, but really had no recipe for them. I have yet to try them because I'm a bit anxious about messing it up. I know, I must get over that.


About a month ago I made this gluten free-vegan chocolate cake. A few weeks ago my hubby asked me if I would make some cookies for a recent conference coming up. I said sure, I'd love to. Then he dropped the bomb. He wanted me to make them gluten-free and vegan..uh...excuse me! I'm so glad he has confidence in my cooking abilities.


I went on a hunt online to look for cookie recipes. I finally settled on two that "looked" good...looks are important ya know, then I read through the blog posts and recipes to see what they the authors had to say about them. 
This morning I headed to the store to get ingredients for both recipes. I wanted to try a few to see which I liked best. List in hand I entered one store, only to find that they didn't have many of the ingredients. Off I went to a second store where I was able to find 3/4 of the ingredients...I held back a gag as they shared with me the total. SERIOUSLY? YIKES! Off I went to yet one more store where I found the remaining few ingredients. One heart attack later I headed home. Oh, and my "duh" moment. One recipe called for chickpea flour. I couldn't find it at one store, so at the second store I stood staring intently at the bulk flours, when I saw "garbanzo" flour. I had seen that at the other store too, but no "chickpea" flour. Yah! Totally forgot they were the same thing. Silly me!
Back home I laid everything out on the counter and asked Kat to guess how much it cost. As she kept guessing and I kept telling her to go higher and higher I think she had a heart attack too! I feel for those of you who cannot have gluten.


Well, this afternoon I set out to make both recipes. Below are the links to the recipes. I'll post my pics and  thoughts and then you can head over and show the blog authors some love.


The first recipe I made came from the blog Cinnamon Quill. The author Jennifer, shares some amazing recipes on her blog. All of them are gluten free. She also is a columnist at Martha Stewarts Whole Living
#1 Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies were super easy. I was able to mix the ingredients by hand quickly in a bowl. The batter is not thick like a normal cookie dough. There are several different ingredients in this recipe, including Potato starch, tapioca starch, sorghum flour, etc...WOW!
 These were yummy! I am more of a fluffy cookie fan rather than a flat, thin cookie but I think if I served these, everyone would love them. Oh, in both recipes I used dairy free chocolate chips.


**ADDED NOTE: I made these a second time and decided to add a bit more potato starch to make them a bit more fluffy. I probably didn't need to add as much as I did because they really didn't flatten out at all, so my suggestion is to go slow on the starch because it doesn't take much.
#2 Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
The next recipe I found at My Macedonian Kitchen. The author Jessica shares so many yummy sounding recipes on her blog and her pictures of her life are amazing.    
 These were really good. They fluffed up more than the others and I like that. They were a bit "heavier" and more filling than the first recipe, but I really liked their flavor and texture.
So, my first try at gluten-free, vegan chocolate chip cookies was successful. Head over to these two blogs and check out their yummy recipes.



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts