Recipe: Butternut Squash Risotto

I tried a new recipe a few weeks ago that was so yummy and for a risotto recipe, so easy. It was baked in the oven. Kat and I were the only real fans of it, but it was worth making (though I probably needed to cut the recipe in half because it made so much).


I have become a fan of addicted to Pinterest, where I have found so many recipes, crafts, and just overall great ideas. I found this recipe there. Kat had tried butternut squash risotto a few months ago and told me a few times that I really needed to make it. When I saw this recipe I thought "okay, I should give it a try". I didn't know if my hubby would like it because butternut squash tends to be a bit sweet and he's not a fan of that, so I think I made some regular rice as well.


The recipe was found at Food 24 and that had a link to another blog, but the link didn't work when I tried it. Now, the fact that this turned out could be considered a miracle since the measurements and temperatures were umm...not in cups or Farenheit and I kept getting confused....I will write the recipe out here using our American version of the metric system...to spare you from trying to bake it at a ridiculously low temperature because you didn't take the time to realize it was in celsious. Yep, that's what I did...good thing I caught it.
Butternut Squash Risotto: Printable recipe
from Food24

Ingredients:


1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 tbs. Maple syrup or honey
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. olive oil

For the Risotto:
2 c. of arborio rice (recipe called for 500g)
4.22 c. of chicken broth (recipe called for 1 liter)
butternut puree
.425 c.  heavy cream (recipe called for 100ml) I think I just went slightly less than half
1 Tbs. fresh sage, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

To Serve:
crispy sage
toasted pine nuts

Instructions:


1. Preheat oven to 390 (recipe called for 200c).
2. Combine the butternut squash with the maple syrup/honey, salt and olive oil in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes or until butternut is soft. Puree 3/4 of butternut puree, reserving some cubes for plating.

3. Turn the oven down to 350 (recipe called for 180c).

4. Place the risotto in a roasting tray that is 3-5" deep..I used a 9 x 11 baking pan. Pour in the chicken stock and butternut puree and mix through. Place in the oven and allow to bake for 20 minutes.

5. After 20 minutes remove from oven. Stir in the cream, sage, and nutmeg. Place back in oven for another 20 minutes.  After 40 minutes the rice should be cooked.

6. Taste and see if the texture of the risotto is to your liking. If not place back in oven. When done season to taste and top with crispy sage and pine nuts.

I left mine in for about 40 minutes but feel like I should have left it in a bit less since it wasn't as creamy as other risotto, but felt like the rice could have been cooked a bit more so I think next time I'll adjust the oven temps a bit more.


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I never fix squash outside of frying it in the summer, but this sounds like something at least I would enjoy. I like risotto and love nutmeg as a seasoning.

    Thanks for sharing.

    I think Pinterest is going to be my downfall. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. food24 moved blogging platforms and that is why the links don't work! Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts