Recipe: Millet Patties with Garlic Aoili

I tried a new recipe today. It was good but needs some adjusting I think because I couldn't get the patties to stay together.


This recipe is from one of the more recent Clean Eating magazines. I'm not sure which one and couldn't find the recipe online. These can be served by themselves on a plate (that's what we did) or on a bun.


Like I said, for whatever reason, my patties would not hold their form, when I would go to flip them, they'd fall apart, thus I now have, ummm, we'll call it Millet Hash! I added another egg to the remaining mixture and formed the patties with my hands. They did a bit better but still did not hold their form well. I followed the directions to a "T" but not sure what I did wrong. 


Despite NOT being able to get them to be a true patty, the flavor was awesome and I think I will try them again sometime. If any of you readers have any tips, I'd love to hear them. I was somewhat happy to know that my friend who had made them had the same issue with them not staying together. We talked about adding some bread crumbs or maybe grinding some of the millet and using it as a binder.


There are quite a few steps to this so give yourself at least an hour and a half to make them from start to finish. If I haven't scared you away by now, keep reading and make them! I think they're worth it.


Ingredients: (Printable Recipe)


1 head garlic, 1/2 inch trimmed from top, plus 2 cloves minced
3 1/2 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 c. whole millet
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/3 c. raw unsalted sunflower seeds (or almonds...finely chopped)
1/4 c. chopped fresh dill (I used dried...just a few shakes)
1/4 c. finely grated low-fat parmesan cheese
4 Tbs. fresh lemon juice, divided
1 lg. egg, beaten
1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
olive oil cooking spray
2 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
1 tbs. dijon mustard
1/4 c. low-fat olive oil mayonnaise
1/4 c. nonfat plain Greek Yogurt

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place garlic head on a piece of foil and drizzle with 1/2 tsp. oil. Form foil into pouch sealing it closed. Roast on middle rack until cloves are soft and fragrant, about 45 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add millet and toast (the millet), stirring and shaking pan constantly, until fragrant and grains begin to jump, about 4-6 minutes. (NOTE: If necessary, cover with a lid; do not leave unattended). Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. I'm not exactly sure my millet ever "jumped". 


3. In a medium saucepan, heat remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil on Med-high. Add onion and minced garlic and cook stirring frequently until onion is translucent. Stir in millet and 2 1/2 c. water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until water is absorbed and millet is tender. Remove from heat and let sit, covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and spread onto a large baking sheet until cooled to room temperature, about 8 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine carrot, bell pepper, seeds, dill, parmesan cheese and 2 Tbs. lemon juice. Add millet mixture and stir to combine. Stir in egg, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Mist a 1/2 c. measuring cup with cooking spray. Scoop 1/2 c. millet mixture and drop onto a large parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes. (On the directions I took a picture of I couldn't read what size they should be, but the recipe said it made 12 patties, so just go with what you want).
5. Meanwhile, prepare aoili. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves from the skins into a small bowl. With the back of a spoon, mash cloves. Add chives, remaining 2 tbs. lemon juice, dijon mustard, mayo, yogurt and remaining salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate.
6. Preheat oven to 400. Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium and mist with cooking spray. Place 4 patties in skillet and flatten each with a metal spatula to 1/2" thickness. Cook until bottoms are golden brown and crisp, 6-8 minutes, reducing heat if necessary to prevent over browning. Mist tops with cooking spray and carefully flip. Return to baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes until heated through. To serve, top each with mayo.


We served ours with salad, but you could serve them with coleslaw, on a bun, however you want. 
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I made these today too - I used a drop of regular olive oil in the place of the spray when frying in the pan... they still didn't hold together too well but it helped them brown & crisp up real nice. A lot of work but so worth it in the end! I added more lemon right before eating, too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts