Another Grilled Pizza Post

I think I have a thing for pizza, and another thing for grilled pizza. Let's face it, I LoVe pizza! But not just any pizza. I do like going out to a good pizza parlor and enjoying a yummy pizza, but more than that, I LOVE homemade pizza. There is really nothing like it. It's rarely greasy, you can put however many and whatever toppings you want and it's so much better for you AnD your wallet!

I've done several posts on pizza:

Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Grilled Pizza  I think this was my first post on grilling pizza.

Yummy Pizza Dough...and so easy to  make

Pizza for birthday parties...perfect


Eating Healthy....can include pizza!


Another Birthday Pizza post...apparently I like  making pizza for birthdays


Oh, and yet another post.....not to mention the many more that I simply "refer" to pizza.
This last week, we grilled the yummy stuff yet again, but this time I was brave, very brave and grilled the dough directly on the cooking grates. Before, I was a scaredy cat and put foil down. I was afraid the dough would go right through the grates (which may be true if it's too thin).

I found this awesome tutorial on the blog Ali-n-son. She talked her hubby into doing a post on how he grills his pizza. I'm so glad he did, because I followed it almost to a T and it was a success..I left out a few parts because of time and space, but it worked.
We had a wonderful mama and her sweet daughter over. It was her first time grilling pizza and we were very excited to do it directly on the grill. I decided that we would do individual pizza's this way everyone could top their pizza with whatever they desired and it's easy to maneuver the dough (I don't have a huge pizza peal or whatever those things are called..I was really wishing I had purchased the Pampered Chef Mega Lifter at my last party).

Our topping options:


Sauces: BBQ (homemade), Pesto, and regular (homemade; simply tomatoe sauce, italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder, or fresh garlic if you wish)  

Cheeses: Fresh mozzarella, goat cheese and some regular shredded mozzarella.

Toppings: chicken, fresh basil, spinach, peppers, mushrooms, olives, tomatoe, onion...whatever tickles your fancy.

I made my own dough which is so super simple..I tripled it and it gave us 6 individual crusts that were pretty good size.

The tutorial said to place the dough on a sheet of sprayed foil and brush the top side of dough with olive oil. After the grill was warmed and lowered to low heat I flipped the dough over onto the grill (oiled side down). It didn't stick at all!! You can go and read the remainder of the tutorial yourself. Once the dough was ready, we each put our individual toppings on. I actually ended up putting them in the oven just to finish off melting the cheese and getting the toppings hot enough. I didn't have enough room on the top rack of my grill and I was afraid of the crusts on the bottom getting too done. A few were quite crunchy (but I like them that way). 
It was a success and I will no longer be afraid of cooking right on the grill. We finished off the night with fruit and yogurt parfaits! I meant to get a picture of the parfaits, but forgot and they were gobbled up too quickly.
We are getting ready to start school up in a few days. Kat is doing 4 subjects at home and taking two electives at the high school. Nan will do all subjects at home. I am surrounded by a pile of books and teacher lesson plans so that I can schedule their days. My goal is to get it finished today so I don't have to think about it the rest of the weekend. Our plans are to stay around home this weekend. We are heading to hubby's parents house tonight for dinner to celebrate his birthday (which was the 31st), tomorrow the girls planned a bonfire, and Monday is up in the air (Kat and a few of her friends want to drive to the beach for the day).

I have felt a little like I've been in a blogging rut and I truly want to get out of it. I love blogging, I love interacting with others and come on, we all have something to offer each other. So hopefully I'll be blogging more regularly.

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts