Facebook Dinner Inspiration

 Yesterday was a bit chilly, very wet and I had no idea what I was going to make for dinner. I had left that morning to have coffee with a friend at our local Starbucks and then met another friend to head to our favorite only homeschool store to check out some things. Returning home at 3:00 gave me half an hour before walking out the door to take Kat to soccer practice. When I returned and said bye to Nan and hubby as they walked out the door for her soccer practice, I still hadn't thought about what to make for dinner.

I sat down to do some catching up on e-mail and ahem...Facebook. I saw one friend posted that she was making Chicken soup to close out August. "yum, that sounds good" I thought to myself. Scrolling further I saw another friend was making chicken soup. "Hmmm, two in a row. It's chilly, it's raining, my family is going to be wet when they get home. I know what I'm making for dinner". 

Usually when I make chicken soup I use a whole chicken because I just really love the flavor of the broth. However, I didn't have a whole chicken last night (nor did I have time to cook it before everyone came home. I needed quick and easy, so I used two boneless, skinless chicken thighs and about six boneless, skinless chicken. 

I did a ratio of about 1/4 water, 3/4 organic chicken broth and one chicken bouillon cube. I really like Knorr bouillon. I placed the chicken in the pot with some chopped onion, celery tops and garlic slices. The cooking time was only about 30 minutes which was perfect. I then added chopped carrots, celery, some leftover green beans and broccoli and then about 3/4 c. of quinoa, seasoning it with garlic powder, pepper, oregano, basil and thyme.

Normally I would use diced potatoes and then add noodles and/or dumplings, but we had eaten a heavy meal on Monday night and I really wanted to lighten things up. I omitted the potatoes, and replaced the noodles/dumplings with the quinoa. It was perfect, and such a good switch from the "usual" chicken soup I make. We also had a bit of leftover artisan bread that we served along with it. I always eat my soup with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top!

Sorry, no pictures. My camera battery had died and was charging. The soup finished just in time for me to go pick up Kat from soccer and everyone was appreciative of hot soup for dinner. 


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts