On the Homefront

I feel like I have so much to say, and just not enough time to say it. My time is a bit limited at the moment and so I'll just update you on my garden. I really think the miracle gro is working. I've applied it twice and things seem to be taking off. The onions are looking great as well. I'm considering canning some salsa, and also homemade spaghetti sauce. My radishes are really tough and I'm not sure why. Nan and I picked a few beans, peas and one beet yesterday. I'm hoping to can the beans. The purple ones are pretty but turn green when cooked. How sad. She had so much fun out there with me. She helped water, but then preferred picking the produce. We also observed one of two Morning Doves that frequent our property. My tomatoes are still green, but plentiful on the vines. I should have a good amount to can. My tub of herbs and green grape tomatoes has really taken off. It's been fun using fresh herbs and I can't wait to taste one of the tomatoes. The lettuce and spinach are absolutely amazing. I have more squash and zucchini than I know what to do with. I need to do a google search for recipes. Can I freeze the yellow squash for later use in soups and stews? A cucumber on the vine. I'm not sure I'm going to get enough at one time to make pickles, we'll just have to see how it goes. Maybe I can make just a few jars... Yummy peas!!!! The only way I like to eat peas is fresh. I cannot stand them cooked (okay, unless it's in a soup or potpie or casserole). Basically I cannot eat them cooked, all alone! YUCK!! But fresh! I will eat them right out of the pod, and today enjoyed them on a salad. View of the garden facing our neighbors property. They have two horses that are hilarious. They apparently don't like each other very well. Our neighbors take them up the road from our house to a pasture frequently and the other day they only took one. They were whinnying back and forth to each other. Gave me a good laugh. View of the garden facing our house. It doesn't look "full" but it really is abundant and producing. I really like space in my garden plus there are several rows "in between" that never got planted. So there you have it. I am overall very pleased with how things are going. It's so fun and relaxing to go out and water and see what is new and ready for picking. (The top photo is of the "harvest" Nan and I picked yesterday.) I have so much more to say, but no more time today. Maybe in the next day or so, but not likely. With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. beautiful harvest! oh, how i love all the green and vast open spaces....sigh...such a concrete jungle here in (desert) too......AZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden produce looks fabulous. I am impressed. I like that you have space between your rows. I have only ever had tiny suburban gardens where we needed to plant things really close together and it made life much easier for all the bugs.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by ladies. It is so hard for me to get on and browse blogs without the intenet at my house! Uggghhhhh!!! I think of you all often though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts