Recipe: Easy Multigrain Sandwich Bread

Yesterday the girls and I decided to make bread. Usually when I make any form of rolls or bread, I just use my bread machine (well, it's not mine. Mine died so I use the one here at the house where we are living.) The bread machine just made it so much quicker. But yesterday I decided to forgo the machine and we'd make it all by hand. I was a bit nervous because I did not want this to go wrong. I hate wasting ingredients. I wanted to use it as a home ec lesson and yesterday was a perfect morning for it. Actually yesterday was a great day. It's been a bit of a rough week trying to juggle various things and I admit I've been a bit uptight. But, not yesterday. We had a great day. Back to the bread.....I love Bob's (darn comma...you know in English we've been doing possessive nouns and where the comma goes...that was rough, and I still get confused....and I'm the teacher...anyways I got confused on the comma in Bob's, but I just wrote it like it says on the website).. Red Mill. So I love Bob's Red Mill ever since visiting their Oregon store and factory. I checked out his book from the library and have decided I want to buy it. However, his website is chock full of recipes. That's where this came from.

(Printable Recipe)
Easy Multigrain Sandwich Bread
1 1/4 c. 7-grain cereal (all I had was 10-grain...it worked)
2 1/2 c. boiling water
3 c. Unbleached All Purpose Flour (plus extra for dusting)
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
4 Tbs. Honey
4 Tbs. Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 1/2 tsp. Instant yeast
1 Tbs. salt
3/4 c. Raw Pumpkin seed or raw Sunflower seeds (Shelled)
1/2 c. Oats, Rolled, Regular old fashioned
Okay...I'm getting lazy....the directions are long so go here (Easy multigrain sandwich bread) and you can just print the full recipe. I'll give you my thoughts throughout this post.
The other thing I was nervous about was that it was telling me to use my mixer (well, people, that is packed away). I tend to follow directions to the T the first time I try one because I don't want to mess it up. So here's the cereal and the boiling water.
Thickened up and ready to go (did not take an hour like the directions suggested). Nan making a huge mess...I think she gets it from me. You should have seen her pants.
Adding the other ingredients.
We opted for our hand mixer, but that only lasted through one flour addition. It just got too hard. So I ended up stirring it and then actually just using my hands to mix it. That made me nervous because the directions called for a lot of kneading (to be done by the mixer) and I was afraid of over-kneading it.
Nan is so small that she just had to get her whole body into the process.
Then it called for patting it out into a rectangle. Okay...I had never heard of that. Then rolling it up tightly. Oh, after cutting the rectangle in half.
Rolling away. I really let the girls do almost everything. And they loved it. They'll make great homemakers someday.
Ready for the second rising. The first was in the bowl.
After the rising. Lookin good.
Ta Da! The finished product. I was so excited. I hadn't burned them and hopefully they were done in the middle.
Slice off a piece...sorry, I couldn't wait the 3 hours they suggested.
Made hubby a sammy. He liked it. Said it tasted a bit nutty and "healthy". Hellooooo...that's the point!
So, very successful recipe, worth making. I made toast with it last night. I have a feeling it's not going to last long! And I may never go back to a bread machine again (C:
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. yummy! i love multi grain bread.....maybe you could send me soon. lol

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, i meant to type some.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that is inspiring! i am always nervous to try my hand at homemade bread but that looks like it's pretty easy! The pictures help!
    if i try it i will let you know :)
    j

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy. I think I need to try it! The 7-grain cereal - is that just breakfast cereal? Or something else? I need to know! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts