Kitchen Tip Tuesday:Homemade Breadcrumbs

Last night for dinner I made tuna casserole. I needed something that could be put together and baked fairly quick because I needed to go help cut some granite tiles at our property. We happen to all like tuna casserole (as long as I use cream of chicken soup instead of mushroom...my girls do not like mushrooms). However, I always put breadcrumbs on top and unfortunately I was out. I decided to make some homemade ones. I'm sure you all know how to this. But just in case there's someone out there who doesn't I'll share what I did. Sorry, too busy to take pictures last night. I had some whole grain bread so first I toasted it. Then I placed it in the dry container of my Vita-Mix (you could just grate it with a hand grater, or try a regular blender). Turned it on until I had fine crumbs. I used about 3 slices of bread for a 13 X 9 pan. Then I placed them on a cookie sheet under the broiler (checking constantly...I almost burned them). Take them out and let them cool slightly. Wha lah! You could add some seasonings I'm sure if I had extra I'd store them in either a container or a ziploc bag. When I added it to the casserole I combined it with some melted butter and sprinkled it on. I could have added seasoning, but it really didn't need it. I may begin doing this instead of buying breadcrumbs because the store bought ones (if you buy the seasoned at least) are loaded with salt. I haven't read the ingredients on the other stuff, but at least I know what I'm getting (especially if I use home made bread). With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Thanks for stopping by. I really love homemade bread crumbs; your recipe sounds great. I'll have to make a batch soon. Have a great week.

    Renee'
    http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade are the best - but I don't always have the "time" (magical word) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made 10 cups of breadcrumbs Monday. It was wheat bread gone wrong. I had forgotten that when summer leaves, so does the humidity. That's ok, we have a bread maker. I have to add less stuff and get a great texture every time. And next time I want breadcrumbs I will try by hand again. In like 6 months. When I finally use all 10 cups of breadcrumbs. Good thing they freeze.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts