Recipe: Lasagna Soup


A few weeks ago I found a recipe for Lasagna Soup on the blog Reluctant Entertainer. Her recipe was inspired from the recipe on Skinny Taste. The thing I like about finding the same recipe on multiple sites is that everyone adds their own twist on it and you get to decide which twist you want to make or take or add your own! 

I combined a bit of both. Sandy used cilantro and it looked like she added beans...I wanted to keep it totally Italian so I used parsley and no beans, though some Cannellini beans would have been good. While grocery shopping for ingredients with my youngest (16) daughter I told her I was making Lasagna Soup. She looked at me with a bewildered look and said "why? Why not just make lasagna?" Because it's something different was my reply. But now, I have to make real lasagna, because while she enjoyed the soup, it's just NOT lasagna. So guess what's on the grocery list for this coming week? Yep, REAL lasagna!

Now, while I LOVE me some REAL lasagna...I do love changing things up, and this recipe cuts quite a few calories which is never a bad thing right? It lightens up a favorite dish that can tend to be heavy. And the topping...uh...I may have eaten a few spoonfuls of it plain, because I really love ricotta cheese! No lie.

Here's what ya need:

2 Tbs. Oil
1/2 onion chopped
2-3 crushed garlic cloves
4 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley or more..give or take a little more.
3 c. chicken broth
2 1/2 c. water
26 oz. marinara sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2-1 tsp. Italian seasoning
9 oz. broken lasagna noodles
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
1/2 c. ricotta cheese
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
2 Tbs. fresh parsley

Here's what ya do:

1. Add oil to a large soup pot. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add turkey and cook till browned. 

2. Add crushed garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes

3. Add the parsley, broth, marinara sauce, water, salt and pepper, and italian seasoning. Bring to a boil.

4. Add broken pasta. Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 10-15 minutes. DO NOT add too much pasta...I did and It absorbed too much liquid.

5. In a bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan and parsley. I also added some garlic powder to this.

6. Top each bowl of soup with a few tablespoons of cheese topping. Savor and enjoy!!


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts