Recipe: Pioneer Woman's BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches


It's no secret around here that I love Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman. I would love, love, love to visit her ranch, cook in her lodge, sleep in her lodge and pretend I'm a great horsewoman. But I'll just be content to watch her show (now that I have cable), follow her on FB, stalk her blog and read her cookbooks. I have three of them. I have made her peach cobbler and just the other day made her BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches. 

My oldest daughter received her cookbook, Dinnertime, for a wedding shower gift a few weeks ago. As I browsed through it I found several recipes I want to make and this has now been added to another book I need to get. This last week was her birthday and her request for dinner was BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches. Well, what do you know, PW had a recipe for this in her book, so of course I thought I'd give it a try.  
I haven't purchased pork, other than bacon in a long time because the good stuff, the grass fed or organic pork is so expensive. My "egg lady" and her family own a small farm and recently began selling pork, beef, lamb, etc..my family and my hubby's parents went in and purchased 1/4 of a pig. We got our meat last week and included were a few roasts. I was so excited because I knew I would use one of these to make the pulled pork. Oh my goodness! So much amazing flavor! I'm telling you, if you can buy your meat local, from local farmers, do it! Nothing compares and you'll know your meat comes from happy animals!

Ingredients:

Dry Rub:

1/4 c. brown sugar
1 Tbs. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

Other Ingredients:

1 4-7 lb. pork roast (mine was a picnic roast)
1 onion, sliced
1-2 Tbs. oil
BBQ Sauce (homemade or 1 bottle)

Instructions:

1. Combine all dry rub ingredients and mix well. Rub generously onto pork roast. Wrap in saran wrap and then either in a plastic bag or place on a plate (in case it leaks). Place in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
2. In a dutch oven, crockpot or disposable aluminum pan, place a little oil and top with onions, then unwrap roast and place on top of onions. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and cook in a 300 degree oven for 5-7 hours or until roast begins to fall apart. If using a crockpot, follow crockpot instructions.
3. Remove from oven and begin shredding pork with forks. Leave the onions in. I first removed most of the liquid, adding some of it to my homemade BBQ sauce. Add BBQ sauce, stir and return to oven to heat through. Here is my favorite recipe for homemade BBQ sauce.

4. Remove from oven. Serve on top of pub or brioche rolls. I love to serve homemade coleslaw on the side that can also be used to top the sandwich, which is my favorite way. Enjoy!!

Isn't that a beautiful roast? I cannot wait to try the other cuts I received. 


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. We always farm gate our meat and rarely buy anything but frozen seafood from the grocery store. Recently ran out of ground beef and yuk -- the purchased stuff is not near the quality. This recipe looks great. I have some pork roasts (our daughter and son in law raised pigs two years ago and we still have some left) and might just try this one out instead of using my regular pulled pork one. I do like her show as well but don't have any books. I didn't realize she had a blog. Bernie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts