A New Year and a Pot Roast Recipe

It's hard to believe that another year has gone by. 2014 was quite the year. Many changes, challenges, tears and transitions, but also much joy, fun and great times. It was year tested much of what I've said I've believed. I am looking forward to seeing what 2015 has in store. I've never been a fan of resolutions, but a fan of evaluating things I'd like to do differently in the New year.

A friend of mine posted this in Regards to her feelings about the phrase "Happy New Year":



"I've never really liked the phrase "Happy New Year". It feels like a lot of pressure to think of the whole year coming up. So, in light of this, I wish you all many happy moments in each day. Really happy ones, filled with hope, with love, with thankfulness."


I love that! Another quote I really liked from the book "Improvised: How to create the life you really want":



"Life isn't a choreographed performance. It's an improvisation. If we are only performing for the applause, we've missed th whole purpose of living"


My heart is to go in to the New Year with intentionality, purpose and the ability to improvise so that I can fully enjoy all that life brings my way!! To see the happy moments in each day so that each day doesn't become mundane!

I'm looking forward to all that is ahead...and there is a lot! The biggest is that my oldest daughter is now engaged! AAAck...when did I become old enough to have a daughter getting married? I'll blog more on that another time, probably several times. I have a few things in mind to blog about this year and hopefully I'll get back on the bandwagon of blogging. Yes, I'm rattling on. 

A few weeks ago I was craving roast. It's not something I buy often because it can be a bit spendy, especially if I am looking for something that is organic, or as close to it as possible. However, the craving overtook me, I bit the bullet, and purchased two roasts at Safeway by Open Nature. My thought in buying two was that we'd have a meal one night and the rest could be used for sandwiches, etc..when money is tight I try to buy cuts of meat that can stretch over several meals, plus I wasn't really sure how much would be enough.

When my hubby and I first got married we would often go to the home of an old family friend (hubby's side) for lunch on Sundays and the wife would always make roast. It was the most tender, amazing roast I had ever had. I was so excited the day I decided to try to make one. But that excitement was quickly dashed when we sat down to eat and it was tough. No falling apart, melt in your mouth roast that day. It was a long time before I tried to make a roast again. I can probably count the number of times on one hand that I've made a roast in the last 20+ years of marriage.
 The key I did learn was it's a SLOW process. These things can't be rushed! The end result it so worth it. This time I used a few processes. I started it out in the crockpot, but finished it off in the oven. Let's get on with the goodness. Now, I can't remember what kind of roast I bought...yah, sorry. It was Open Nature so there weren't a lot of options, I just picked two that looked good.


Ingredients:

Roast 
Whole garlic cloves, peeled and sliced thick
Pepper
Salt
Garlic Powder
Thyme
Oil
Onions, cut in large pieces
carrots, peeled and cut in large pieces
Potatoes, peeled and halved

Instructions:

1. Cut slits in to roast and stuff with garlic cloves, push down as far as possible. Sprinkle both sides with all seasonings.  
2. In a dutch oven or large pan, drizzle a fair amount of oil and turn on med. high. when hot place roast in pan and brown on each side. Set aside.

3. Place roast in crockpot along with vegetables. Cook on low 6 hours or till done to your desired tenderness. Check vegetables periodically to keep them from getting too tender. If placing in a roaster or dutch oven, place roast and onions in pan. Place in a pre-heated 325 degree oven and cook for 2-3 hours depending on size of roast...add potatoes and carrots about 45 minutes to an hour before you think roast will be done. 
4. In the same pan that you browned the roast in, add some of the pan drippings. Turn on medium to medium high to release the yummy pieces stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add 1 c. water and a beef bouillon cube along with more pan drippings if needed. In a separate bowl, add a tablespoon or two of flour with some broth or milk. Add a little of the hot liquid to it and stir together till thickened. 

Honestly, it's a timing game, but if you check after a few hours and it starts to fall apart, then it's good. YUM. 



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Loved the whole post....the quotes and thoughts and the recipe. Will have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts