Green Smoothie and other thoughts

We love smoothies in our house. In fact, we love them so much, that about 7 years ago we purchased a Vitamix! Can I just say that was one of the best purchases we've ever made.


Over the years our eating habits have changed as we've made the move from processed, heavy laden foods to less processed, more whole, sometimes vegan, sometimes vegetarian, sometimes meaty, creamy dishes. More whole grain foods, natural and even raw foods...with a few of the former thrown in now and then. I am a proponent of moderation but leaning more towards the side of finding ways to make the former things with healthier ingredients, or making them few and far between. We've gotten rid of pop and the only juice I buy is Orange Juice. Maybe on a special occasion we'll add some other juice, but never pop...once and awhile if we are somewhere that is serving it we might get one, but rarely. One of my goals is to go 100% organic, though to do this we'd have to double our grocery budget. For now I am sticking with the Dirty Dozen. I buy my eggs from a friend who raises Happy Chickens and I hope to soon transition to organic Dairy and/or meats...not sure I can do both right now.


In the last several months I've begun incorporating green smoothies into my daily routine. While I haven't made one everyday, I try to make them frequently, with the goal of having one a day. They are good for you and not too high in calories since I only use water as the liquid ingredient. In the mornings we often enjoy a smoothie with Almond milk, blueberries, banana and spinach with some vanilla protein powder added in. This is usually my breakfast. 


Smoothies are a good way to sneak in veggies for those picky kids. The green smoothie could be called the Green Machine or the Green Monster...something kid appealing.  The better the blender, the better everything will mix up. Other than the green color, you really can't tell there are veggies in it.
Green Smoothie

Ingredients: (you can really add whatever you want, this is what I usually use)
(makes close to 20 oz)

1 banana
1 pear
1 apple, cored and sliced
some pineapple chunks or a mango
3-4 kale leaves or a handful of spinach
1 date
dash of cinnamon
1 1/2 c. cold water
1 tbs. chia seeds
few sprigs of parsley
ice


I freeze some of my fruit so I don't use ice. I do not peel my fruit...there's good stuff in the skins. Add all into the blender and process till smooth. adjust ingredients to taste. I tend to like a sweeter smoothie than my hubby. It really just takes some playing around to get the taste you want. 


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts