Recipe: Layered Green Salad


UPDATE: I needed a salad recipe recently and remembered this one. I originally posted it in 2009. I also realized I had no pictures of it and it wasn't very well laid out. I like to think I've come a little ways since I first started blogging. 

I thought I had made too much, but at the end of the evening there wasn't much left. Success. It is not a salad that keeps well so I recommend eating it the same day. It is quick and easy to put together and perfect for a summer picnic, potluck or easy meal.

I'm leaving the original post below because it's fun for me to go back and revisit stories. 


Ingredients:


1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
1 can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 c. frozen peas
1 c. chopped celery
3 green onions chopped
1 1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. sugar
1 pkg. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1-2 tomatoes chopped
1-2 hard boiled eggs, sliced

In a 13 x 9 glass pan (because I like seeing the layers), or a large glass bowl, layer lettuce, chestnuts, peas, celery, half the bacon and onion. 
Combine mayonnaise, garlic powder and sugar, spread on top of salad. Top with remaining bacon, tomatoes and hard boiled eggs.

If you want to make it more of a main meal you could add some chopped turkey or ham as well.

Enjoy~




I've been meaning to share this recipe and I just keep forgetting. It is a yummy layered green salad that honestly, you could layer with whatever you have available. I'm also editing some pictures that I took at our local tulip fields for a post I hope to get up later today. It won't happen this morning however. It is 6:07 and I need to be getting my girls up in a half an hour because we have a 7:50 soccer game. Good grief...who schedules these games. On a quick side note, the girls and I worked outside yesterday for about 3 hours, digging, raking, rolling and planting. Guess what? There's still more to do. It was such a beautiful day and I knew the forecast was rain for the weekend. The only thing I didn't get done was planting all the bulbs that my friends mother gave me. Oh, well, that will have to be done when I get home from Redding. Along with my garden! I did get some veggie starts in the ground. I'll move them when I get home and make my veggie beds, but I needed to get them in at least temporarily. I also came home late last night to find a half wine barrel on my porch. I was so excited! My inlaws had a wine barrel sitting in their shop (it belonged to her father), I mentioned that it would be neat to cut it in half and make planters. But nothing had happened, until last night...whoo hoo. Can't wait to plant it!! Okay, on to the recipe:
Layered Green Salad 1 head of iceberg lettuce 1 can water chestnuts, chopped 1 c. frozen peas 1 c. chopped celery 3 green onions chopped up 1-1/2c. mayonnaise 1/2-1 tsp. garlic powder 2 tsp. sugar 1 pkg. bacon, cooked and broken up 1-2 tomatoes chopped
Place lettuce in a 13 X 9 pan. Layer celery, onion, peas and chestnuts. (I also added some cheese and hard boiled egg). Mix mayonnaise, garlic powder and sugar. Spread on top of salad mixture. Top with tomatoe and bacon. Chill till ready to serve. I also put the bacon underneath the mayo mixture.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. You'll never believe how timely this is! I have been wanting to make this recipe and was just going to "wing it" (doesn't always work for me :). The guys are staying a couple of extra days to finish the house!!!! and I want to make this for them either tomorrow or Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm going to make this tonight :) we're going to a friends for dinner. thanks for sharing. how are you? i slept in today......i get so tired...lots going on here, so i haven't been blogging too much.
    have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! I know where I'm coming to look for recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a layered salad with peas and all that good stuff! Yummy Kirstin!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts